Who tends to get HS?
- Millions of people around the world are living with hidradenitis suppurativa
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa affects approximately 1% of the U.S. population (1 million people)
- Estimated 12 million people are not diagnosed and have not received medical treatment
- It's estimated that up to 200,000 moderate to severe HS
- Three times as many women get hidradenitis suppurativa as men
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa begins after puberty but starts before menopause
- People who have a family member with hidradenitis suppurativa are more likely to develop HS themselves
It's caused by the immune system. You are not the blame!
Living with hidradenitis suppurativa can be frustrating and even embarrassing. It's good to know the facts and to dispel some common misconceptions.
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa isn't contagious - no one can catch it from you
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa isn't caused by poor hygiene - it has nothing to do with showering or washing
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa is not an STD
The most important thing to know is, HS is caused by the immune system, not something that you caused.
Having other conditions
Hidradenitis Suppurativa can be associated with several other conditions, including arthritis, severe acne, obesity, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn's disease, metabolic syndrome, and diabetes.